Monday 22 June 2009

Dom Update / Couple Of Bets

Not blogged for a while as I’ve been really busy, so here’s a quick update from me.

Thoroughly enjoyed my week or so up in Dundee, did most of what I wanted to do, though Laura being ill for the last three or four days wasn’t ideal. I did get to spank Iain 6-2 at Klubiosh and go to Hamilton with Kenny and Will though, which was great fun. I particularly enjoyed the random old guy (Donald?) who was absolutely bizarre. I have totally stolen his “stand easy” catchphrase. He thought we were lawyers, kept asking us if we were “highly educated people” and called Kenny a “ruffian” as he wasn’t wearing a tie, absolutely ridiculous banter.


We didn’t have the best of days racing wise. Will had a minimum stakes winner in the opener, but after that, not a single scorer between us. Wee Charlie Castle in the last was disappointing, I even called it with half a furlong to go as it seemed untouchable, but the winner came out of nowhere and got up by a head. It clearly wasn’t going to be our night when Will missed the turn off and we got there later than planned, scuppering his chances to stalk Pixie Lott who was apparently playing before racing started. Not to worry, she’ll be in Sheffield when you all come down for the dogs.

Here's a little montage I put together, of Hamilton races. I wish I had quality video editing software. "I don't like cheese. Actually, I like cheese".




Welcome aboard Gav, I look forward to poker stories as well as acts of random, drunken tomfoolery. Scott, please don’t randomly invite any more people, as the bulk of this blog’s readers are DUPS types, there will soon be more contributors than viewers! I will see what I can do about trying to get an extra ticket for the dogs, to accommodate Gav. I’m delighted to see you’re all keen, I honestly didn’t think any of you would be. I promise it’ll be a great couple of days.

I never got chance to preview the Derby, which was a shame, but I backed Fame and Glory e/w at 4/1. Was delighted to see the money come for it, but Sea The Stars never looked troubled. At least I got my stakes returned. With me being on holiday then straight back to work, I’ve basically missed the whole of Royal Ascot too, which is a shame. Things have been quite busy at work lately, we’re getting a new starter tomorrow and I’m going to be his job instructor; that’ll be interesting!

Anyway, I’ve had a quick look at the racing today and I’ve got a bet that I like the look of. The 15:15 at Lingfield looks set up for Chjimes, in my opinion. The horse is unbeaten in three runs over course and distance and although the handicapper might well have hold of him now, it’s definitely worth an each way nibble at the current price (6/1 widely available, slightly bigger on the exchanges). The horse will be held up whilst the vast majority of the field will run prominently, which will ensure a strong pace. Hopefully the likes of Lochstar and Peak District will force the pace too much and burn out, allowing Chjimes in.

The other race I’m taking an interest in is the last at Wolverhampton. There’s a bloke comes in our shop who tipped up Exceed Elegance the other day after speaking to someone, I forget who (owner or trainer or something). I’m always wary of this type of chat, but we opened betting at 8/1 and it was heavily, heavily backed down to 3/1 before withdrawing as the ground was considered too firm. That is just weird for me. The word was that it would either run then or today and sure enough, Exceed Elegance has popped up in the 5.30 at Wolverhampton, priced around 9/2 at present. Most opened around 6/1, so money is already coming for it (I just managed to sneak a little bit on at 5/1). I can’t see much in the form to suggest it’ll win, but a move like that can’t be ignored, so I took a little e/w nibble.

15:15 Lingfield
Cjimes
1 pt e/w

17:30 Wolverhampton
Exceed Elegance
0.5 pts e/w

No comments: