Friday 1 May 2009

Blue Square Greyhound Derby



Loyal Honcho stands proudly after winning last year's Derby and hopefully this year's picture will include one of my selections. Been studying last few days and I've picked a good mix of early paced runners and all-round pace to give me a great chance. I hate short priced dogs in massive fields so I hope I've picked out dogs which represent extremely good value for stakes of all sizes.

Greenwell River (50/1 various)- It's always important to select a dog in good form and that certainly applys to this dog who broke the track record at Shawfield last month. Cabra Cool won the Scottish Derby there in 29.23 whilst Greenwell River ran a stonking 29.06. Ran a very fast trial over 460m here and despite the toughest 1st round heat I think this dog could go well in this competition.

Bubbly Totti (66/1 various) - An experienced Wimbledon runner and one who I think is a very good competition dog. It has good all round speed and I struggle to imagine a race make up where 3 dogs could beat this. I see good progress through the rounds and then anything can happen in the final rounds. Great chance.

Farloe Reason (33/1 various) - I backed this dog for the Scottish Derby because I believe it to be a fantastic animal with great pace. It was ridiculously unlucky then but should come good at Wimbledon. Trials show it is one of the fastest dogs in the field and with a bit of luck with trap draws can come out on top.

Jogadusc Ace (125/1 VC) - I love a dog with early pace and this dog has spades of it. Second in the Blue Riband at Hall Green behind Blonde Fern (chirp), it won both heats there before encountering trouble in the final. Big price and should give us a great run for our money.

Barnfield On Air (100/1 VC) - One of the favourites from last year where it reached the semi-finals is fancied to really make an impact this year. Breaks well and shows good early and with a 27.64 and 27.65 trial round the 460m at Wimbledon last month could do a lot of damage.


The above dogs will comprise my main bets but I'm going to be spreading my interest on a few others:

Plassey (200/1 Ladbrokes)
Blonde Dino (200/1 VC)
Tyrur Hestor (33/1 various)
Windy Millar (50/1 various)
Cash Dream (100/1 various)


GL all

Scott

No comments: