Monday 23 June 2008

Wimbledon 2008


Wimbledon 2008

And so Wimbledon is upon us again. As you all know I'm a big tennis fan and have even been down to the tournament on 2 occasions. I'm hoping over the next fortnight I can find a few winners for you all on the mens singles matches. I will try and post my bet of the day each night and mention other bets that may be worth looking out for. I have chosen to ignore the outright market as I generally don't like tying up funds for a 2 week period. While I feel Federer is great value at his current odds of 2.22 I feel there will be better opportunities to back winners at this price on a daily basis.


Tennis betting is not for everyone with both odds short and the required outlay therefore larger. However there are only 2 possible outcomes of a tennis match therefore less factors outside our control. I am a believer that a bet at any price can be value. That can mean a 1.20 shot in a tennis match being good value. Unless something really stands out at those odds though I try and steer away as I don't have the capital to make the win worthwhile. I generally prefer to find opportunities in the 1.50 and above bracket. For example today I plumped for Simone Bollelli against Alex Bogdanovic at odds of 1.74 and he duly obliged against the toothless Bogdanovic.

In tomorrows matches I have only stumbled upon one match where I see value, that of Kiefer versus Benneteau At odds of 1.52 Kiefer may not appeal to you all but I expected the odds to be closer to 1.25 so its cracking value in my book. He has superb grass court form and was a semi finalist in Halle the Wimbledon warm up tournament. He has been a bit mentally fragile at times but now in his 30s he has calmed down a little and is a trustier betting proposition than in previous years. His grass court form speaks for itself with a career record of 40 wins against 25 losses. Compare this to Benneteau's 8 wins to 13 losses and you can see why this looks such good value.


Advised
3pts Kiefer to beat Benneteau - 1.52 (Betfair)

2 comments:

moDtheGod said...

Easiest money you've ever made.

Will Walsh said...

It was easy money. Was sitting watching the IBM live scoreboard in my work thinking if picking winners was always as easy as that then I wouldn't have to work!